website stats
When I am Copyeditor General ...: When I am Copyeditor General

Sunday

When I am Copyeditor General

I'm not trying to set myself up as the world authority on grammar here. There are many career copyeditors and lifelong language experts, people who know The Elements of Style by heart and can cite chapter and verse from the Chicago Manual and spend their leisure time debating the finer points of the subjunctive on discussion boards.

I don't claim to be at their level.

I have, however, spent years observing the decline of basic language proficiency, pervasive at every level of learning and communication.

I've known elementary-school teachers who couldn't spell. I've heard students in college journalism courses giggle that they "never really got the hang of punctuation." I've seen a rise in the repeated misuse of words in reputable publications.

I have no illusions. I know this blog isn't going to change anything. It's really just somewhere for me to get it off my chest.

You may encounter typos here. You'll probably find fault with some of my grammar. Feel free to complain.

And if you encounter any worthy additions to this space, please send them along. I'll make you my Deputy of the Week!

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites